Overwhelmed:

October 25, 2007 at 12:48 am Leave a comment

overwhelmed

I’ve been feeling a little overwhelmed lately. I realized a while back that in order to grow at work and continue to enjoy my work I needed to take my .net skills to the next level. With that in mind I’ve been putting in a lot of hours reading and practicing new skills. I have a sort of list of skills I’ve been working on the last 6 or 8 months.

Basically it breaks down like this …

Core skills:

  • vb.net
    • winforms
    • ado.net
  • sql
    • t-sql and query optimization
    • ssis
    • reporting services
  • regex

Alternate skills:

  • Ruby
  • Java
  • Web
    • html
    • css
    • ado.net

Man … jumping around on the list above for the last 6 months has completely kicked my ass. Tonight I sat down and looked at this list and what I’ve been doing and realized I’ve been just way to much all over the place on my study choices. Java one night, Ruby the next. vb.net, ado.net, regex … all in one day. What the hell was I thinking??? From here on out I’m going to try to focus on the 3 core skills and only visit the alternate skills if I need them for specific projects or when I feel like I’m getting on top of a core skill.

My primary goal is to study vb.net (mostly winforms and oop) 75% of the time. the other 25% I plan on looking at SQL or regex to give myself a break from reading .net code. I’ve found that breaking out to look at something different once or twice a week helps me focus the other nights when I’m reading vb.

Another thing that is working well for me is ordering books from Amazon. Every payday (every two weeks) I order at least one (used) book from my wish list. Every week I take 20 or 30 minutes to browse around and try to add one or two books to my list. This week I ordered two books. I’ll talk more about the books I’ve ordered or plan to order in another post.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Uncategorized.

Some tips from the Wonky Traveler: Reading List

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Calendar

October 2007
M T W T F S S
« Jun   Nov »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Most Recent Posts


%d bloggers like this: